Saturday, April 7, 2012

natural egg dyes

lavender buds
grass
red onion skins / strong coffee



We used: 
grass - yellow
lavender buds - green/blue
strong coffee - brown
red onion skins - orange
beet juice - pink

At least, that is how the colors were supposed to turn out! This was my first attempt at natural dyes ever, and I'm not sure I did a great job... Once I poured the grass and lavender dyes into the jars, I added a teaspoon of vinegar, at which point they turned clear! (Oops) So I added good old artificial green and blue food coloring to those. The beet juice made the eggs a very cream color, instead of the lovely pink I had imagined. Although once dried, little pink spots appeared. All in all, I could use some more practice, or perhaps advice from professionals. Have you used natural dyes? What is your favorite recipe?

1 comment:

  1. I really like the colors of the eggs. The brown egg made from coffee looks kind of like a piece of wood. Really neat looking!

    ReplyDelete