Friday, January 6, 2012

Supper ughs

Awhile back, I posted my own craft: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 profile. One of the five questions was about what mistakes I have made in the past. I feel like I need to amend that question. In the past few months I have had more kitchen mishaps than I'd like to admit! Tonight...umm...has been par for the course.

I thought I would try this easy, five-star beer bread recipe to go with a crustless quiche tonight. It sounds so good for a winter evening, doesn't it? Anyway, I started by emptying all the dry ingredients into the bowl, and then left to run an errand. Upon returning, I realized I had measured 3 teaspoons of baking soda, instead of powder! What did I do next? Dump in a bottle of beer, of course. I don't know why. Then I googled a panicked: "Help I used baking soda instead of powder." That's when I decided to go ahead and make a double recipe to make up for my mistake. As I was adding the extra bottle of beer, it started sloshing out of my mixer! There was nothing I could do, until I realized it was very lumpy. What could it hurt, by now, to just throw it into bread pans and see what happens? As I grabbed the mixing bowl, I realized it had been working so hard mixing the lumpy batter that it got inevitably stuck to the mixer. After taking a deep breath, I lifted and poured the entire mixer mixture (which is probably bad phrasing, also) into the pans.

The bread did not turn out. What a waste of ingredients, time, and energy. Lesson learned? Yes--carefully read directions. Also, laugh it off, and try again later.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I have done the mixer sloshing many a time.....not fun. The quiche looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me feel better, Summer! The quiche turned out alright. :)

    ReplyDelete